There is a short film that explains the site’s history. In the southeast, General Oglethorpe made the first move and launched an attack against St. Augustine. Oglethorpe's attack on a Spanish reconnaisance party at Gully Hole Creek led to the battle at "Bloody Marsh". Although the trustees' involvement was purely philanthropic, it was expected that the colonists would prosper by producing wine, silk, or some other commodity. By 1743, nearly 1,000 people lived at Frederica. Nor was it alone it this purpose. If you appreciate a little history and have the urge to venture on a mini road trip, not even two hours up Interstate 95 are two hidden gems along coastal Georgia. It is surrounded by a quadrangular rampart, with four bastions of earth well stocked and turned, and a palisade ditch.". Fort Frederica, St. Simons Island has a small, but engaging museum where children can dress up in period outfits, sit at a Tavern table, play colonial games and even write a letter with a quill. Colonial Dorchester State Historic Site, County Rd S-18-373, Summerville, SC 29485, USA In other ways, though, Frederica did succeed. Montiano sent reinforcement to help the first column of soldiers, but these too were caught unawares and ambushed at Bloody Marsh. General Oglethorpe imported 5,000 mulberry trees to try an encourage silk production, but at no success. Oglethorpe's foresight in establishing Frederica was rewarded in 1742 during the War of Jenkins' Ear. A ride to the north end of St. Simons Island with a visit to Fort Frederica provides visible evidence of the English occupation that followed. Fort Frederica. To forestall any Spanish attempt to regain the Georgia land, General Oglethorpe pushed south from Savannah. Fort Frederica, Georgia, 1742. Named for Frederick, Prince of Wales (1707-1751), the town housed both a civilian community and British troops between 1736 and 1763. The fort was founded by Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe to prevent Spanish attack that would come up from the southern Florida border. One hundred sixteen settlers arrived in March and April of 1736 under the command of General James Oglethorpe and built a fortified settlement. Although equipped with sufficient men and supplies, General Oglethorpe's siege failed and the impregnable Castillo de San Marco remained in Spanish control. Nature finished the process of reclaiming Frederica with vines overgrowing the few tabby ruins still standing and in time little was left but a memory. Location of Fort Frederica James Oglethorpe strategically located this new fort near a 10-foot high "bluff" on the Frederica River, one of a series of connecting rivers, sometimes called the "inland passage," forming the delta of the Altamaha River. In 1736, three years after the founding of Savannah, James Oglethorpe established Fort Frederica to protect his southern boundary. The fort was constructed in what was then considered part of the colony of South Carolina, but was territory later settled as Georgia. Little damage was done to the Spanish fleet and the soldiers landed unopposed at Gascoigne Bluff, near where the causeway is today. The fort was built in 1721 along what is now known as the Darien River and served as the southernmost outpost of the British Empire in the Americas until 1727. Sailing up the Savannah River, they established a settlement on a defensible bluff that General Oglethorpe selected for that reason. Our mission is to preserve and promote the future of Fort Frederica … Georgia founder James Oglethorpe built Fort Frederica and the surrounding town on St. Simons Island in 1736 to defend the three-year-old colony from the Spanish in Florida. Colonists from England, Scotland, and the Germanic states came to Georgia to support this endeavor. Today's state of Georgia was then the center of a centuries-old imperial conflict between Spain and Britain. By the start of the American Revolution (1775-83), Fort Frederica was obsolete, and St. Simons was left largely uninhabited as most of its residents joined the patriot army. Visitors can view a film about the site, go on a self-guided tour of the fort and of the Bloody March battlefield and tour the museum. If you have a story you'd like to have shared on the show p… Abbreviated History of Fort Frederica At St. Simons Island. The fort's location on a bend in the Frederica River allowed it to control approaches by enemy ships. Fort Frederica, King's Magazine Ruins, Saint Simons Island, Glynn County, GA . He sent a reconnaissance in force of 200 men up the Military Road in the direction of Fort Frederica. 44 men and 72 women and children arrived to build the fort and town, and by the 1740s Frederica was a thriving village of about 500 citizens. It was the strongest fortification built by Great Britain on American soil and its purpose was to protect Georgia and the colonies to the north from the Spaniards who were already established in Florida. Fort Frederica was established in 1736 by James Oglethorpe to protect the southern boundary of his new colony of Georgia from the Spanish in Florida. About 630 British troops were stationed at the fort. The effect was similar to base closings today. The National Park Service also maintains a detached area at the … Clever deception on Oglethorpe's part convinced the Spanish to retreat from Georgia seven days later. Today the archeological remains of colonial Frederica are protected by the National Park Service. After the philanthropist James Oglethorpe founded the colony of Georgia in 1733, to provide a place where poor debtors could settle, colonists from England and Scotland, and refugees from the German Electorate of the Palatinatebuilt Fort Frederica in 1736 to defend their ne… Fort Frederica was established in 1736 by James Oglethorpe to protect the southern boundary of his new colony of Georgia. For Frederica, the peace treaty that Great Britain and Spain signed in 1748 sounded its death knell. Before they arrived outside the gates of the town, General Oglethorpe took the offensive. Fort Frederica combined both a military installation, a fort, with a settlement, the town of Frederica. Similar in style if not in scale to Williamsburg, VA., its lots were laid out in two wards separated by a central roadway called Broad St. Each house occupied a lot sixty by ninety feet. 31522. Fort Frederica History is hands on at the Museum. A lone British flag stands at the remnants of Fort Frederica. The history of Fort Matanzas down in St Augustine is that it kept switching hands between the Spanish and other countries. A memorial to the role of Christianity in the founding of the first English settlements in Georgia, it is considered one of America's most beautiful churches. Its founders, General Oglethorpe and twenty other trustees saw it as a social experiment, a humanitarian mission to relieve unemployment and relief to those who crowded England's squalid debtors prisons. The Friends of Fort Frederica (FoFF), is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, established in collaborate with the National Park Service. In 1945, Fort Frederica National Monument was established. Not so the case up north, as the British maintained control of Fort Frederica and the Golden Isles consistently. Fort Frederica National Monument, on St. Simons Island, Georgia, preserves the archaeological remnants of a fort and town built by James Oglethorpe between 1736 and 1748 to protect the southern boundary of the British colony of Georgia from Spanish raids. The colony lay in an area between South Carolina and Florida, "debatable" land that was claimed by both Great Britain and Spain. Exploring the coast, he selected St. Simons Island for a new fortification. March 9, 1736 - Ft. Frederica “Hark the Herald Angels Sing,” “Christ the Lord is Risen Today,” “Love Divine, All Loves Excelling” are among the greatest hymns ever written. In time, many settlers replaced their bowers with more substantial structures than these, but nothing more than foundations remain today. In that year, a fire started and before the last flame died out what remained of the town was a blackened, charred ruin. Nevertheless, General Oglethorpe did not trust Spain which had denounced the new colony of its border with Florida and knew that his venture would not go unchallenged. 18th century drawing of Fort Frederica. The British forces retreated northward, but General Oglethorpe understood that whatever respite they had gained would be temporary. Historic American Buildings Survey, Creator, Frederica Of Wales, and Maxfield Parrish. At Fort Frederica, this meant people who could provide products or services of use to the soldiers of the garrison. Lots had room for gardens and settlers were given additional acreage elsewhere on the island for growing crops. Today, what is left of Fort Frederica is part of the National Parks network. Although it failed as a settlement, its success in defending Georgia from Spanish attack made its success as first as a British colony and later as part of the United States possible. Colonists from England, Scotland, and the Germanic states came to Frederica to support the endeavor. Here, in 1736, he established Fort Frederica, named for the Prince of Wales, Frederick Louis (1702-1754). About 630 British troops were stationed at the fort. Denominational History Presbyterians are a community of mainline, protestant churches that began during the Reformation in the 1600’s. A marker for the Battle of Gully Hole Creek can be seen on Frederica Road just south of Fort Frederica. Fort Frederica combined both a military installation, a fort, with a settlement, the town of Frederica. Having laid out the town of Savannah in 1733, Oglethorpe realized the importance of protection from the Spanish to the south. The original goal of General Oglethorpe and the other trustees to relieve the suffering of those in debtors prisons remains a powerful myth even today, but despite these good intentions, the reality was far different. Fort Frederica History is hands on at the Museum Fort Frederica, St. Simons Island has a small, but engaging museum where children can dress up in period outfits, sit at a Tavern table, play colonial games and even write a letter with a quill. It guarded the entrance into Jekyll Sound that provided access to Frederica's back door. The local economy collapsed and as many as half the town's people left to seek their fortunes elsewhere. Although little remains to remind us of its prowess today, a visitor in 1745 described it as "a pretty strong fort of tabby, which has several 18 pounders mounted on a ravelin (triangular embankment) mounted in its front, and commands the river both upwards and downwards. He sent a column of his own troops out to meet the Spanish in the wooded thickets east of Frederica. The first shelters at Frederica were called palmetto bowers. In the early 18th century, Europeans called the land lying between British South Carolina and Spanish Florida the "Debatable Land". Fort Frederica is a small colonial site. (The feminine spelling was added to distinguish it from another fort with the same name.). This consisted of an earthen wall called a rampart that gave protection to soldiers from enemy shot and shell, a dry moat and two ten-foot tall wooden palisades. There, they proceeded to march overland and capture Fort St. Simons without further resistance. The entire area was fortified with a palisade wall and earthen rampart. In 1736, on this historic site, Fort Frederica was constructed by the early settlers of the Colony of Georgia under General James Edward Oglethorpe. This land (today's Georgia) was the epicenter of a centuries-old imperial conflict between Spain and Britain. These were distributed to the towns people on a regular basis. Long before the “World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party” in Jacksonville, Georgia has always kept an eye on Florida. Our mission is to preserve and promote the future of Fort Frederica … Fort Frederica History Established as a fortified community of British settlers in 1736. This British victory not only confirmed that Georgia was British territory, but also signaled the end for Frederica. The fort's location on a bend in the Frederica River allowed it to control approaches by enemy ships. Fort Frederica National Monument, on St. Simons Island, Georgia, preserves the archaeological remnants of a fort and town built by James Oglethorpe between 1736 and 1748 to protect the southern boundary of the British colony of Georgia from Spanish raids. More Frederica History... Fort Frederica National Monument Colonists from England, Scotland, and the Germanic states came to Frederica to support this endeavor. … For Frederica, the peace treaty that Great Britain and Spain signed in 1748 sounded its death knell. 6515 Frederica Rd. The first settlers in Georgia arrived in 1733. By 1743, nearly 1,000 people lived at Frederica. Nancy has help direct and played for children and youth choirs as well as participated in adult church and community choirs. 44 men and 72 women and children arrived to build the fort and town, and by the 1740s Frederica was a thriving village of about 500 citizens. All are the work of Charles Wesley. The town enjoyed a relative measure of prosperity owing to the crown's dispensation, but it was a prosperity that was built on military outlays. Fort Frederica was established in 1736 by James Oglethorpe to protect the southern boundary of his new colony of Georgia from the Spanish in Florida. She has enjoyed returning to her piano to play for Frederica church and appreciates the love and support she receives. Fort Frederica National Monument Colonists from England, Scotland, and the Germanic states came to Georgia to support this endeavor. During its heyday, from 1736 to 1758, General James Oglethorpe's town and fort played a pivotal role in the struggle for empire between the competing interests of England and Spain. There is a short film that explains the site’s history. In 1742, the Spanish and British forces clashed at Fort Frederica. The entire structure was surrounded in a manner similar to the town by earthen walls and cedar posts approximately ten feet high. Even before the settlers left England, the trustees had provided that adequate stores be furnished for their needs. All reviews fort frederica park ranger visitor center colonial history minute film self guided tour early history bug spray james oglethorpe history buff spanish moss interesting place live oaks step back in time beautiful grounds great place to visit bloody marsh oak trees lots of history … The fort's location on the Frederica River allowed it to control ship travel. These, it eventually withdrew, providing Britain with a window of opportunity to fill the vacuum. It was named for the Prince of Wales, Frederick Louis. When peace was declared, Frederica's Garrison (the original 42nd Regiment of Foot) was disbanded, and eventually the town fell into decline. Having laid out the town of Savannah in 1733, Oglethorpe realized the importance of protection from the Spanish to the south. At a spot where the road crossed a sluggish stream named Gully Hole Creek, the British sprung their trap, firing a volley of bullets into the lead group of Spanish troops. Unsure of the terrain or how many enemy soldiers he faced, Montaino reembarked his forces, set sail, and returned to Florida. As an economic venture, Frederica failed as well as Georgia. Fort Frederica is a National Monument in the state of Georgia, USA which was originally established by the British General James Oglethorpe in 1736 to fortify a British settlement. Named after the son of King George, Frederick Louis, Fort Frederica was improved and expanded upon over the following years, evolving into a four-sided fort of brick and tabby construction with bastions at each corner, a dry moat, and a palisade wall. St. Simons Island, GA Fort Frederica History Established as a fortified community of British settlers in 1736. He was given the 42nd Regiment of Foote, now known as "Oglethorpe's Regiment," consisting of 250 men from Gibraltar, 300 men recruited in England, and 45 men from the tower of London. The Spanish claim predated Britain's by more than a century and a half and at one point, Spain occupied a number of missions along the Georgia coast. Words and images by Ryan Hutchins. Some would say Presbyterianism began with the original disciples of Jesus as the first elders of the church. 6515 Frederica Rd. A regular engagement ensued, lasting about one hour, before the Spanish broke off contact and retreated again. Archeology Education at Fort Frederica Each year, over 1,000 4th grade students participate in an award-winning archeology program at Fort Frederica. Fort Frederica National Monument is located at 6515 Frederica Road, St. Simons Island, Georgia. James Oglethorpe built Fort Frederica for the British during the Anglo-Spanish conflict for control of what is now Georgia. In the early 18th century, the land lying between British South Carolina and Spanish Florida was known as the debatable land. Fort Frederica on St. Simons Island served as the British military headquarters in colonial America. A fleet with thirty-six ships and 2,000 soldiers sailed from St. Augustine and arrived off St. Simons Island early in July. This clash of cultures pitted British redcoats, the Highland Independent Company of Foot, and coastal rangers … Due to the Spanish threat only seventy-five miles away, General Oglethorpe took measures to fortify both, surrounding the entire forty- acre area with an outer wall. Interest revived in Fort Frederica in the 1900s. US Historic Sites He would spend the next ten years working to make the colony succeed. Other forts were located at the north and south ends of Cumberland Island and on the St. Johns River in Florida. One of Gen. Oglethorpe's primary concerns involved Georgia's defense. This started a nine-year struggle known in Europe as the War of the Austrian Succession, and America as King George's War. Lacking sufficient numbers of soldiers, General Oglethorpe returned to England in 1737 to raise a regiment of redcoats. Nevertheless, the settlers were also not expected to remain idle. No longer needed to guard against Spanish attack, the garrison was withdrawn and disbanded. Though a 1758 fire destroyed most of the town, it had been a lively commercial center and military post at the edge of … Three years after founding Georgia in 1733, Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe established Fort Frederica to defend the fledgling colony against Spanish attack from Florida. In the early 18th century, the land lying between British South Carolina and Spanish Florida was known as the debatable land. Contained within this outer defense perimeter was a stronger fort that guarded Frederica's water approaches. Archaeological excavations were done in time that uncovered Frederica's past and allowed its story to be told again to new generations of Americans. Despite the name, casualties were light and the Spanish continued their campaign on St. Simons. The British followed up their victory by pursuing the Spanish. The last significant excavation at Fort Frederica took place in the late 1970s. Fort Frederica Plan Sign Christ Church stands on Georgia's historic St. Simons Island just up the road from Fort Frederica National Monument. In time, long after the British garrison had left and the original townspeople abandoned Frederica the famed Quaker, … In 1736, three years after the founding of Savannah, James Oglethorpe established Fort Frederica to protect his southern boundary. Overall, Fort Frederica was a significant defensive point from which the British confirmed their rule over Georgia. General Oglethorpe's foresight proved fortunate. Initially, the purpose of the Georgia colony was not so ambitious. Those that remained continued to call Frederica home until 1758. One hundred sixteen settlers arrived in March and April of 1736 under the command of General James Oglethorpe and built a fortified settlement. Fort Frederica was documented and authorized as a National Monument on May 26, 1936, under the Franklin D. Roosevelt administration during the Great Depression. Fort Frederica National Monument: Great for the History Buff - See 1,084 traveler reviews, 514 candid photos, and great deals for Saint Simons Island, GA, at Tripadvisor. No longer needed to guard against Spanish attack, the … Despite his initial success, the Spanish commander, Manuel de Montiano, proceeded captiously. Fort Frederica National Monument, historic site on St. Simons Island (one of the Sea Islands), southeastern Georgia, U.S., near Brunswick.The monument (authorized 1936) covers 284 acres (115 hectares) and consists of the remains of a fort and surrounding town built by Georgia colony founder James Edward Oglethorpe in 1736 to defend Georgia from the Spanish in Florida. This altruistic goal eventually expanded to include the more pragmatic purposes of expanding trade for the mother country and providing a buffer colony on the southern frontier. In addition to Fort Frederica, there were four other British outposts located farther south. Fort Frederica is a National Monument in the state of Georgia, USA which was originally established by the British General James Oglethorpe in 1736 to fortify a British settlement. Never again would the tread of the Spanish boot break the stillness of Georgia's oak and pine forests. Frederica was never intended to be self- sufficient. Fort Frederica A ride to the north end of St. Simons Island with a visit to Fort Frederica provides visible evidence of the English occupation that followed. The Spanish response came two years later. This is a curriculum-based education program created and administered since 1994 by a partnership between Ft. Frederica National Monument and the Glynn County School System and Board of Education. 18th century drawing, artist unknown. Georgia founder James Oglethorpe built Fort Frederica and the surrounding town on St. Simons Island in 1736 to defend the three-year-old colony from the Spanish in Florida. One of these was Fort St. Simons, located on the south end of St. Simons Island, where the lighthouse currently stands. History records only eleven families fitting the description of debtors that eventually settled in Georgia during its early history. These combined with the soldiers already in Georgia placed nearly 1,000 men under his command. The wall measure one mile in circumference. The first real archaeological treatment of the site occurred in the 1940s and ‘50s. As a military bastion, the fort served as a clear reminder of British power in the region. A year after the regiment arrived at Fort Frederica, Great Britain declared war on Spain. Colonists from England, Scotland, and the Germanic states came to Frederica to support this endeavor. Caught off guard, the Spanish recoiled in shock and confusion, retreating back toward their compatriots at Fort St. Simons. General Oglethorpe had banned slavery from the colony for that very reason. St. Simons Island, GA In 1736, on this historic site, Fort Frederica was constructed by the early settlers of the Colony of Georgia under General James Edward Oglethorpe. Fort Frederica was established in 1736 by James Oglethorpe to protect the southern boundary of his new colony of Georgia. Local residents took a lead in preserving the site as a reminder of America's colonial past. Returning from England, the regiment fell in for the first time on September 28, 1738. 31522. The ships forced a passage of Jekyll sound, following a lengthy cannonade with Fort St. Simons. 00:10:34 - Brief history of Fort Frederica and the odd and haunting history Of Christ Church. Even as the trustees began their work of establishing Georgia, they realized that the new colony required people with specific skills and recruited settlers accordingly.